The Society was established in 1954 as a memorial to General Wladyslaw Sikorski, once Prime Minister of the Polish Government in Exile and Commander-in-Chief of the Free Polish Forces during the Second World War. Our presence honours his leadership and his memory. Pictures and sculpture within building Number 5 also honour the General and his comrades and the memorial wall between buildings 4 and 5 honours the victims of the Katyn Massacre, the loss of ORP Orkan, the Polish destroyer on which general Sikorski’s body was returned from Gibraltar after his death, the victims of the Smolensk air crash, and the courage and sacrifice of all the men and women who fought for Poland’s freedom during the Second World War. Officers of the Society represent the Government of Poland in the commemoration of these sacrifices.
The Society is a registered Scottish charity (Reg. No. SC046143). We sponsor crisis and abuse support groups, language classes, a chess club, a history club, cultural and social functions, film festival, musical events, Scouts, a Polish Folk Group, Open Museum displays, mothers/toddlers group, internet RadioSikorski, meetings and events for local community groups - and much, much more. The Society works closely with Police Scotland and Safer Glasgow and through its membership of the West of Scotland Regional Equality Council in combating hate crime and intolerance. Members of the Society are active in outdoor activities and our facebook page, newsletter, website pages and internet radio station provide access to what’s going on at Dom Polski.